Whether it’s a brand new color shade, extra-short or long layers and fringes, or the recreation of an old celebrity’s hairstyle, each year invariably brings new hairstyles and trends – as well as the rehashing of old ones. Here are the biggest women’s hair trends for 2017 so far:
1. Platinum blond: seen in celebrities such as Cara Delevingne and Katy Perry who have opted to mask their natural hair color in preference for bleaching their locks an artificial platinum silver-blonde color. Bonus points if you dare to cut your hair with some of the best hair clippers and then color it platinum blond. Then you will really be on trend!
2. The Shag, growing up and out: the shag was the rising star of haircuts in 2016. This year those bangs and layers are all grown up and grown out. The grown-out shag is a hairstyle that subtly hints at a shag cut without going the whole way.
3. Marilyn Monroe style: Max Mara revived her distinctive style. Now Sam McKnight the hairdresser has recreated her famous blonde hair to the finest detail. Whatever the inspiration, it’s great to see that hair back in style and to be able to reminisce about the old days of hair couture.
4. High ponytail: This style is pure elegance and simplicity. It has long been known in the hair styling industry that slicking your hair all the way up gives your face a more lifted, angular and Roman look.
5. Sleek and center-parted: This style is also simple but effective. Hair that’s shiny, straight and parted straight down the middle is one of the hottest women’s trends for 2017.
6. The Blunt-style Bob: the only bob in town this year is one that’s sharp and blunt – as seen on Rihanna and Selena Gomez.
7. Hair flip: this is just about the easiest hairstyle to copy this year. Simply flip your hair over from one side of your hair to the other to create huge volume. And the amount of effort required on your part? None. This is a great look for women who are short on time.
8. Shiny and slick: this one was a huge hit at 2017 Spring Fashion Week. Slick, shiny looking hair can look just as good out on the street as on the catwalk. Just work some styling cream into your hair working from the roots down to mid length to get that distinctive shiny look.
9. Loose, low braids: this is another big hairstyle in 2017, made popular by Nicole Kidman, Sara Sampaio and others at Cannes.
10. Cher-style: extra long hair extensions are an enduring style, and they’re just as big this year as in any other. Rihanna and Kim Kardashian, among others, have been seen sporting them in recent months.
11. Flat iron waves: Kendall Jenner and others have made this style their own; straight, flat waves are created using your own flat iron. They give your hair a wavy, windswept look but are far less bouncy and flamboyant than most wave styles out there. This is another look for those who appreciate subtlety and simplicity.