Need a little financial help before attending beauty school? Your education is a big financial commitment, which is why we found great resources for our cosmetology students. Paying for school isn’t as intimidating as it seems!
Scholarships to Help You Pay for Cosmetology School
Beauty School Scholarships
• SportClips Scholarship – Applicants must be in good standing as of the submission date. Applicants must have maintained at least 80% attendance, 80% grade average and demonstrate financial need. The applicant must be enrolled in a cosmetology or barber program and must have completed at least 50% of the required program hours. The application must also be verified by a school official. Sports Clips offers (15) $1000 scholarships. The application can be found here.
• OPI & AACS Scholarship – As part of OPI’s ongoing scholarship program, 9 selected students annually who are attending AACS member schools will each be awarded a $500.00 scholarship from OPI. Students must be enrolled and in good standing, or in the process of enrolling, in a cosmetology related program at an AACS member school to qualify. Winners will be selected based on a written or video essay. Application can be found here.
• Beauty Schools Directory Scholarship – If you’re ready to begin a fulfilling and rewarding career in cosmetology, it all begins with choosing a cosmetology school that’s right for you. If you are worried about finding the money to pay for cosmetology school tuition, some schools offer scholarships or financial aid, and now Beauty Schools Marketing Group is offering a $2,500 cosmetology school scholarship to help cosmetology school students live their dreams! One application per session (four sessions a year). Deadline: January 31, 2016 Application can be found here.
• Joe Francis Haircare Scholarships – To be considered, applicant must be currently applying for entrance into Cosmetology/Barber School, OR actively enrolled in a Cosmetology/Barber program. Scholarship is worth $1200. APPLICATION DUE JUNE. 1st Application can be found here.
• Great Clips Scholarship – 2016 scholarships will be posted soon here.
• Vidal Sassoon Professional Beauty Education Scholarship – Available to legal residents in the United States who will be 18 years or older at the start of the program. Must be accepted at an eligible institution. Applicants cannot be active in coursework prior to the applicable opening date. Accepting applications 2/1/16 – 4/4/16 More information can be found here.
• MUD Makeup Scholarship – This program offers five $2,500.00 scholarships twice a year for a total of $25,000. Open to any student enrolled at an AACS member school who has an expressed interest in make-up and who is taking a MUD Make-up Course or standalone course as part of their licensed cosmetology or esthetics program or as continuing education for licensed professionals. More information can be found here.
• Tippi Hendren Nail Scholarship – This scholarship program is for prospective and newer students entering a nail program at a qualifying nail technology school. Competition rounds are open each Spring and Fall. Each round awards five worthy winners with 100% of their program tuition costs funded (up to $2,400), helping them to join the ranks of this industry’s talented network of Nail Professionals. Cosmetology degrees include nail programs, therefore cosmetology students are eligible. Application can be found here.
• Massage Envy Spa Massage Scholarship – The BCL Massage Envy Spa Massage Scholarship program is for prospective and newer students entering a massage program at a qualifying massage therapy program school. Competition rounds are open each Spring and Fall. $1,500 towards their massage therapy program tuition, helping to lighten the load and allowing more students to join this growing profession. Additionally, each winner’s school will also receive $500 to help enhance their massage therapy programs. More information can be found here.
• Murad Esthetic Education Scholarship – The Murad Esthetic Education Scholarship Program provides an opportunity for prospective and newer students at a qualifying school to win a monetary scholarship towards their tuition. Each round will award 5 winners with $2,250.00, a Murad Skin Care Kit valued at $500.00 and an opportunity to be paired with a Murad Mentor. More information can be found here.
• Minerva Beauty Cosmetology Scholarship – Minerva Beauty, a leading provider of salon equipment to the cosmetology industry, is proud to sponsor the Minerva Beauty Cosmetology Scholarship for the year 2016. A total of five winning applicants will be chosen, each applicant receiving a scholarship of $1,000. In addition, all winners will receive a one (1)-Year Student Membership with the Professional Beauty Association. Students must currently be enrolled and have completed one grading cycle. Minimum GPA is 3.0. Application can be found here.
• PBA Lifetime Member Scholarship – A total of five (5) $1,000 scholarships will be awarded in 2016. The application deadline is March 1, 2016. Five scholarship recipients will be chosen and notified by email. All scholarships are funded by The Joseph L Weir Trust and administered by the Professional Beauty Association Foundation. Application can be found here.
• NCEA’s Esthetician Scholarship – The National Coalition of Estheticians, Manufacturers/Distributors and Associations funds this scholarship, which provides financial aid to students enrolled in esthetician-only training programs. To qualify, you must be halfway through the program and maintain an 80% attendance and 80% grade average. The award amount is $1,000. Application can be found here.
• Kathy Jager “Education Rocks” Scholarship – Funded by Kathy Jager & Association, this scholarship is open to all beauty school students and professionals. To qualify, you must provide proof of registration in a cosmetology class or school. Average award amounts are $250. Application can be found here.
• American Legion Auxiliary Children of Warriors National President’s Scholarship – Available to seniors in high school who have completed 50 hours of volunteer work during his/her high school years (see application for additional requirements). Applicants must be daughters, sons, grandsons, granddaughters, great-granddaughters, great-grandsons of veterans who served in the Armed Forces during eligibility dates for membership in The American Legion. Gift amount ranges from $2,500 to $3,500. Application can be found here.
• Wisconsin American Legion Auxiliary Scholarships – Applicant must be a child, grandchild, great grandchild, step-child, step grandchild, step great-grandchild, wife or widow of a veteran and be a member of ALA. Must be in need of financial help to continue education, have a 3.5 to 4.0 GPA and be a resident in Wisconsin. DUE MARCH 15, 2016 Application can be found here.
• Women’s Army Corps Veterans’ Association Scholarship – Applicants must be graduating seniors with a GPA of 3.5 to 4.0. Must be a child, grandchild, niece or nephew of an Army Service Woman. DUE May 1 every year. One $1500 scholarship awarded annually. Application can be found here.
• $2000 “No Essay” College Scholarship – Available to anyone. Available every month, one entry per month. Application can be found here.
• Unigo “What’s Your Dream” Scholarship – Available to legal residents of United States who are currently enrolled or will be by 2022 in an accredited, post-secondary institution of higher education. Must submit a 250 word essay about your dreams, whether it’s some bizarre dream you had last week or your hopes for the future. Award amount is $1500. Application can be found here.
• Chegg $1,000 Monthly Scholarship – Must complete the Scholarship Question, which changes on a monthly basis. Must have a Chegg account. Application can be found here.
• Stuck at Prom Scholarship – Applicants must design and wear a prom dress out of Duck Tape. The contest runs from March 16, 2015 to 11:59:59 AM ET on July 15, 2015. Applicants can enter as an individual or as a couple. Scholarships range from $500 to $10,000. Official rules can be found here.
• Cappex Easy College Money Scholarship – Not every student is top of their graduating class when it comes to GPAs, and many of them are overlooked when it comes time to hand out scholarship money. These same students may have accomplishments outside of their test scores, however. Cappex, Inc., recognizes these students with a scholarship tailored specifically for their hard work. It’s called the $1,000 “A GPA Isn’t Everything” Scholarship. There are no essays or tedious forms required. More information can be found here.
• Teens for Jeans Scholarship – Collect and donate pairs of jeans for local youth experiencing homelessness. You could win a $5,000 scholarship just by donating two pairs of jeans to a local shelter. Just upload a photo of the jeans you collect and you’re automatically entered! The more jeans you collect, the more chances you have to win the $5,000. No essay or minimum GPA required. More information can be found here.
• Vegetarian Resource Group Scholarship – The Vegetarian Resource Group Scholarship is available to graduating high school seniors. You must have been active in promoting vegetarianism in your school and / or community; and have demonstrated compassion, courage, and a strong commitment to promoting a peaceful world through a vegetarian diet / lifestyle to be considered for this award. Application can be found here.
• Create A Greeting Card Scholarship – The Create-A-Greeting Card Scholarship Contest is open to currently enrolled high school and college students in the United States. To enter, you must design a holiday, get well, or birthday greeting card and submit your work to be judged. Your photo, art, or graphics submitted must be your own original work and you must be at least 14 years of age to be eligible for this award. Application can be found here.
• Black Excellence Scholarship – This scholarship was established to recognize the outstanding academic achievements and contributions of Milwaukee area teens who give back to the community. It is open only to senior students who have at least a 3.0 GPA, plan to attend an accredited University, College or Technical School in fall 2016 and is currently active in volunteer/extracurricular activities at their school and/or community. More info can be found here.
Scholarships for Women
• Wisconsin Women’s Alliance Foundation Scholarship – The Wisconsin Women’s Alliance Foundation Scholarship is a $500 scholarship to a Wisconsin student attending a Wisconsin technical college or an accredited two- or four-year Wisconsin college or university. Available to female Wisconsin residents age 25 or older. More information available here.
• Jeanette Rankin Women’s Scholarship – Provides scholarships for women who are 35 years of age or older and attending college. Eligibility is based on financial need, as determined by income and number of family members. Each applicant is required to submit an essay for evaluation. More information can be found here.
Other Scholarship Resources
Federal Student Aid
A lot of beauty schools, including VICI Beauty School, accept federal financial aid. If you qualify, you can get subsidized and unsubsidized loans from the government. To be eligible, students must be enrolled at least half time in an approved program leading to a degree or certificate. Subsidized loans have low fixed interest rates, payment deferments, and a six month grace period following your beauty school graduation. If you qualify for this loan, the government will pay the interest as long as you are enrolled in school.
The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan is similar because it available to students enrolled at least half time in an approved program leading to a degree or certificate.They also offer low fixed interest rates, payment deferments and grace periods after graduation. The interest, however, must be paid by the student.
If you’re going to apply for federal loans, you’ll need to fill out a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Without your FAFSA, you can’t be eligible for loan money. Talk to your school to find out what their school code is. You don’t want to put this step off! Start working on your FAFSA right away to make the enrollment process easier.
Sallie Mae Student Loans for Cosmetology Students
Need extra financial aid money? If you already used federal loans to pay for college elsewhere, you may not qualify for loans again. In this case, you can apply for financial aid through Sallie Mae. Sallie Mae offers private student loans for students who are attending college. They offer multiple repayment options, competitive interest rates, and no origination fee. If you can’t get a federal loan, Sallie Mae is a great option to pay for school.
Save, Save, Save
Financial aid is a big help when it comes to paying for cosmetology school. You will probably still need to save your money, though. We gathered our favorite financial savings recources for you. These websites will teach you how to save and offer great options for using your money to its fullest potential.